The Scottish Government Fees and Charges for Landlord Registration have now been increased as follows:
Principal Fee £65
Property Fee £15 (per property)
Late Application Fee £130
Discounts are available for:
- landlords who own properties in more than one local authority area, where their applications are linked
- joint owners where a lead owner has already paid the principal fee
- landlords who have a current House of Multiple Occupancy (HMO) licence
- Registered Scottish charities
- (all discounts are automatically applied to online applications)
If your application is due please log into www.landlordregistrationscotland.gov.uk to avoid late application fees:
- The Registration System issues reminders by email at 90 and 30 days prior to expiry, so please ensure the email address held on your registration for you is correct.
- Check junk or spam folders at regular intervals. There is a three month window between the first reminder and a registration expiry.
- The Landlord Registration System now includes a summary page at the start of the “Your Registration” journey (https://landlordregistrationscotland.gov.uk/). This lists all landlord’s registrations, expiry dates and the attached let properties. If you are unsure when your registration expires you can check there.
- Joint owners must all register/renew in their own right. Although second/joint owner fees typically attract a 100% discount, late application fees are still applied to joint owners whose registrations have lapsed.
- If you use the same email address on both your own and any joint owners registrations then the email sent to each of you will go to that one address – and may look like duplicate but will each have a different recipient name in the email body.
The Late Application Fee is the first enforcement step for landlords letting property without a valid registration. The next step is typically a Rent Penalty Notice, where rent is ceased for all let properties, the ultimate sanction is for prosecution action to be considered. The Scottish Government also plan to introduce changes in September 2019 to the information required from Landlords. More on this to follow later.
Letting Agent registration is still growing and the latest figures indicate that 562 out of 914 applications have been approved. Our reference number is LARN 1901034 if you require this for your Landlord Registration Application, renewal or anything else.
The Scottish Government plan to introduce changes in Sept 2019 to the information required from Landlords when they are renewing or applying for Landlord Registration.
The new requirements will mean that Landlords are asked questions about the property. Some of these may be questions that you are not familiar with. A number are personal questions but it is suggested that the Landlord will also be asked for a declaration and confirmation that the property meets:
- The Tolerable Standard
- The Repairing standard
- The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations
- If there is a private water supply meets the Water Intended for Human Consumption (Private Supplies) (Scotland) Regulations 2017
Confirmation the tenant has been provided a copy of the:
- Energy Performance Certificate
- Landlord Gas Safety Certificate
- Electrical Installation Condition
- Portable Appliance Test
- Legionella Risk Assessment
Confirmation that the property had been advertised in an advertisement including details of the landlord’s registration number and the EPC indication.
And confirmation if the property is within a tenement, a declaration that there is buildings insurance on the property as per the requirements of the Tenements (Scotland) Act 2004 and that the Landlord is aware of their obligations in relation to common repairs and maintenance of the tenement building.
If it is an HMO property confirmation that it is licensed
If the tenancy falls under the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (Scotland) Regulations 2011 confirmation the deposit:
- Has been lodged with an approved scheme
- Or will be lodged within the relevant time frame.
If you want any further information on this on any other letting enquiry then please do not hesitate to contact the residential letting team on 0141 332 9225.